Debt Collection Abuse Help
ARE YOU BEING HARASSED BY DEBT COLLECTORS?
Contact us today to see how we can help!
Creditors and debt collectors can be very intimidating and insensitive.
While some communication is acceptable, a debt collector cannot harass you, misrepresent information, or use illegal collection schemes. The following are instances where the collection activity has crossed the line to harassment:
- Calling repeatedly an unreasonable amount of times.
- Calling your neighbors or relatives.
- Calling your work.
- Using obscene or profane language.
- Threaten you or anyone with physical violence.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and the Texas Debt Collection Act (TDCA) protect you from debt collector harassment. A debt collector may be violating your rights by doing any of the following:
- Not stating the true amount owed.
- Stating the person is an attorney if they are not.
- Threatening to put you in jail or arrest you for a debt.
- Threatening other things that cannot be legally done
Be sure to keep copies of all the letters you get from the debt collectors and a systematic record of the calls.
If you are being harassed by a debt collector, contact an attorney as soon as possible.